Hi David here.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. So said Albert Schweitzer, theologian, organist, philosopher, physician, and medical missionary. Albert may just have been on to something here. Gratitude or being thankful is a necessary posture of the heart in order to see who we really are and how we are affected by others.
We can be thankful for lots of things, we should be thankful for a whole lot more, and a lot of us take a lot of things for granted. Why should we stop? Why do we need to slow down and be thankful? I would suggest that only from a place of rest can we be thankful. Thankfulness is a reflective activity – it requires us to stop, think and reflect. It requires a great level of thought. Being thankful does something to us. It increases our happiness and it creates possibilities and opportunities. It is a wonderful thing to do.
I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
I have a lot to be thankful for, and I’m lousy at it. Why? Because I take too much for granted.
Here’s what I’m thankful for:
- I’m thankful for my beautiful wife, that she stills loves me despite and because of myself. I love her so much
- I’m thankful for my amazing and talented children, for their joy and laughter. I love them deeply, despite being a grump.
- I’m thankful that we can eat food – regularly, and that we can continue to do this. I love to eat!
- I’m thankful that we live in New Zealand, a beautiful paradise. I love the autumn sunsets and sunrises
- I’m thankful that I can share my faith, and that God uses me to make a difference, I love that about God.
- I’m thankful that you have got this far and are still reading this, I love how you reading this brings these words to life.
Now, I feel different. I feel happy. I feel a warm glow. Why do I not do this more often? I may just do this more regularly. I think we were designed to be thankful, it is our answer in a world of questions.
If you see the moon,
Rising gently on your fields.
If the wind blows softly on your face.
If the sunset lingers,
While cathedral bells peal,
And the moon has risen to her place,
You can thank the Father
For the things that He has done.
And thank Him for the things he’s yet to do.
~ Amy Grant, Doubly Good To You
So what about you my friend? What to you need to be thankful for? Have you been thankful? Will you set aside five minutes now to make a list – your list. Here or somewhere this week, be bold, be thankful. It may just help someone – someone who you need to thank. Perhaps by being thankful your happiness will be doubled by wonder. So here are some words to you, for you – thank you.
Thank you for your comments
Yours words give life
To my dreams in the
Sunset of my rhyme
Thank you for sharing
As these words are not mine
But part of a greater message
That needs to be heard
Thank you my friend
May God whisper words
To you, of life, light,
Hope, faith and love.