Rob here. Sometimes Scripture just blows me away. On Monday I was spending some quality (i.e uninterrupted and unhurried – bliss) time in God’s Word and in God’s company. God has kept calling me back to Colossians over the last few years. There is so much joy, hope and wonder in that book! I thought I’d share with you some of the verses that God has opened my heart to in the hope that your heart will be opened to his love also. These are from the New Living Translation which I really recommend, emphasis mine.
- “For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ, and through him God reconciled everything to himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of Christ’s blood on the cross.” – 1:19-20
- Yet now he has reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault. – 1:22
- And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. – 2:6-7
- For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority. – 2:9-10
- You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross…You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world.” – 2:13-20.
- Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand…For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory. – 3:1-4
- Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him…Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us. – 3:10-11
- Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. – 3:14
- Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives…And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. – 3:16-17
What really struck me when I first did this exercise in my journal was just how highly we are thought of by the God of the universe as we stand in Christ! There really is no more shame or condemation or guilt. What’s true for Jesus is true for us. When God looks at us he sees Jesus in us. He is our life and in him we have life, life and more life as Eugene Peterson so beautifully puts it. So enjoy the forgiveness, the freedom, the holiness, the righteousness, the peace and the joy that come from being in Christ.
Enjoy this Chris Tomlin song that speaks about our freedom in Christ.